Arizona Official Considering Banning Ethnic Studies In Universities Too
Two years ago, Arizona outlawed the teaching of some ethnic studies courses in K-12 schools, and now it may expand the prohibition to universities too.
Just weeks after the state passed its infamous immigration law, it also passed a law aimed at scuttling Tucson’s Mexican-American studies program, which critics claimed taught kids to resent white people. The argument, at the time, was that teaching subjects like critical race theory to kids in high school amounted to indoctrination because they were not old enough to question the teaching critically, like university students.
But now, Arizona’s chief education official sees university-level Mexican-American sudies programs as a danger too:
Arizona’s superintendent of schools, John Huppenthal, says Tucson’s suspended Mexican American studies curricula teaches students to resent Anglos, and that the university program that educated the public school teachers is to blame.
“I think that’s where this toxic thing starts from, the universities,” Arizona Superintendent of Schools John Huppenthal said in an interview with Fox News Latino. “To me, the pervasive problem was the lack of balance going on in these classes,” Huppenthal said.
Not surprisingly, a long list of Latino groups and education activists have protested the move, as they did when the state shut down Tucson’s program, decrying the imposition on free speech. “What we’re trying to do is expose children to a much broader perspective, so that we’re not indoctrinating,” said Augustine Romero, the former director of Tucson’s Mexican American Studies Department.
The ethnic studies law, which bans schools from offering courses designed for a specific ethnicity, had far-ranging consequences, including banning books like Shakespeare’s The Tempest and other seemingly anodyne works of literature.
And while many call the state prohibitions unprecedented, Devon Peña, the former director of the National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies said, “There is a precedent, and it’s called McCarthyism.” “It’s just a witch hunt of a different color. Now, instead of going after the reds, they’re going after the browns.”
its a university people should be able to pay for what education they want to have - if it was a high school or other public institution - id say fuck it - can the program - but people pay for their college education they should get what they want for the money they pay
Because banning Ethnic Studies in High School is totally justifiable, just as long as you’re not paying for school.
Why are people so ignorant?
It’s outright systematic racism, plain and simple. As someone who’s half Mexican, this kind of BS drives me crazy. Just like when they passed their immigration law, it was designed SPECIFICALLY to single out Mexicans. Can you imagine the Arizona police pulling over a WHITE immigrant? I don’t think so.
I don’t care if it’s a high school or university, Mexican-Americans have a right to learn their history. After all, can you imagine the hell they’d raise if they got rid of white history? Oh wait, IT’S JUST CALLED HISTORY because white is the “default” race.
- sophi-phi reblogged this from annie-mosity
- platanos-fritos likes this
- la-doncella-ocupada reblogged this from martinbro
- la-doncella-ocupada likes this
- defiant-soul reblogged this from eclectic-ellie
- mesozoics likes this
- ozlady80 reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower and added:
- diyeducation reblogged this from gatsby-eyes
- theeworldisours reblogged this from flordenopal
- flordenopal reblogged this from comprendes-mendes
- lolitaputita reblogged this from comprendes-mendes and added:
- comprendes-mendes reblogged this from ancestryinprogress
- sourcandysourkiss reblogged this from eric-wren
- eric-wren reblogged this from skepticamongthefaithful
- kawaii-spooky-stupid likes this
- strongsenseofchill reblogged this from gatsby-eyes
- strongsenseofchill likes this
- torn-apart-by-leather-and-skin reblogged this from twiggyfish
- twiggyfish reblogged this from gatsby-eyes
- cvntwaffles likes this
- slightlystrictlyrude reblogged this from gatsby-eyes
- gatsby-eyes reblogged this from skepticamongthefaithful
- skepticamongthefaithful reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower and added:
- striveforabettertomorrow reblogged this from gtfothinspo
- fattielovesfashion reblogged this from eastwickg
- comedanceintherain reblogged this from eclectic-ellie
- sailorluna likes this
- shuvva reblogged this from eclectic-ellie and added:
- shuvva likes this
- eclectic-ellie reblogged this from simpleunadorned
- simpleunadorned reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- latinamerican-worldfeminist likes this
- saturn-dust likes this
- dazebras reblogged this from lovehoneybee
- soulsentwined likes this
- thatchicana reblogged this from hb2281
- culturarefrescante reblogged this from fuckyeahchicanopower
- hb2281 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- hb2281 likes this
- antiquenette reblogged this from justdaedreaming
- forgetyrperfectoffering reblogged this from justdaedreaming
- ecstasybread likes this
- badhawaiian-shirts reblogged this from justdaedreaming
- yazil reblogged this from praxis89
- trainlikeacareer reblogged this from justdaedreaming
- justdaedreaming reblogged this from praxis89
- praxis89 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- mssswitch reblogged this from activismandsnaps